|Are E-cigs and Vapes Safe?
E-CIGARETTES: NOT SAFE FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY
WHAT ARE E-CIGARETTES?
WHY ARE THEY DANGEROUS?
- E-cigarettes are devices that use a battery to heat a liquid nicotine solution ("e-liquid"). The heated e-liquid creates an aerosol that is breathed into the lungs.
- They are also called e-cigs, e-hookahs, hookah pens, vapes, vape pens or mods. Some can only be used once, while others can be refilled.
- E-cigarettes are also used to smoke illegal substances like marijuana and hash oil.
- E-liquids are poisonous if swallowed, and are harmful if the liquid gets on skin or in the eyes. The e-cigarette batteries are also poisonous if swallowed.
- E-cigarettes and e-liquids come in fruit and candy flavors that appeal to children who may taste or drink the e-liquid.
- E-cigarettes contain chemicals that can cause cancer, birth defects or other health problems.
AREN'T THEY SAFER THAN TOBACCO CIGARETTES?
- E-cigarettes produce an aerosol, not water vapor. The aerosol is a mixture of chemicals and small particles that can hurt the lungs just like cigarette smoke.
- E-cigarettes are just as addictive as regular cigarettes.
DO E-CIGARETTES HELP SMOKERS QUIT?
- Studies show that e-cigarettes do not help people quit smoking cigarettes. Instead, many people end up using both products.
- Over-the-counter and prescription medicines are widely available and very effective at helping people quit smoking cigarettes.
ARE THEY SAFE TO SMOKE INDOORS?
For more information, download the free brochure: Protect Your Family From E-Cigarettes
- No. E-cigarettes pollute the air with tiny particles that get trapped in the lungs. Just like regular cigarettes, the pollution from e-cigarettes may hurt others.